Sunday 15 April 2012

Mascara of the Week #2: Maybelline "The Falsies Volum' Express" Mascara

WEEK #2
Week 2 of my Mascara Problems series. I'm starting to get a good feel for what I should be looking for in my perfect mascara. Up for review this week was Maybelline "The Falsies Volum' Express" mascara. This mascara has been on the market for a couple of years now and it gets a lot of hype from bloggers, youtubers, and "common folk" alike. I decided to put this mascara to my vigorous (sarcasm) testing to see what I thought of it.



As you can see, the brush is curved, "spoon brush" as Maybelline describes it. I'm not a fan of the brush. I feel like I don't have a lot of control with the placement of the wand on my lashes. I've decided I like a straight wand, just so that I can have the best control when applying my mascara. Maybelline claims that the Falsies mascara gives "instant volume" and gives a "false lash effect"...let's test those claims.
no mascara
one coat mascara
Right...false lash effect my ass. This mascara did nothing for my lashes. It literally just provided my lashes with a coat of black colour and helped it to stay curled. No extra volume and definitely no false lash effect. The fact that I don't like the wand or the application process just makes this mascara pointless for me. 
after 6 hours of wear time
The only positive thing I can say about this mascara is that it consistently does nothing. I had no days where it looked better or worse than other days. I also didn't experience and flaking, which was a good sign. I had a little bit of smudging after about 10 hours on which I would just clean up with a cotton bud. I should also mention that I was using the regular version of this mascara, not the waterproof version or the new Flared Drama mascara, or whatever it's called. After 6 hours of wear time, the mascara looked the same as it did when I first applied it. It's consistent. If this mascara was marketed as just a regular mascara, nothing special, no false claims, than I wouldn't have anything to claim about. But the gimmicky wand, the mediocre formula, and its lack-lustre appearance leaves more to be desired. There wasn't a load of definition to the lashes, no extra volume, and no extra length. I just used my Neutrogena Oil-Free Eye Makeup remover on a cotton pad to get it off at the end of the day. It was a little stubborn to get off at the end of the day, and I know it's not the eye makeup remover because that stuff gets off everything; and I didn't buy the waterproof formula so there shouldn't be an issue with getting it off, but there was. Annoying. Now for the points round-up:



1. Lash separation: 3 out of 5

2.
 Lash volume: 3 out of 5

3. Lash length: 2 out of 5

4.
 Holds curl: 3 out of 5
 
5. Staying power: 3 out of 5

6.
 Mascara wand: 1 out of 5

7. Taking it off: 4 out of 5

8. Overall appearance: 3 out of 5

9. Overall score: 22 out of 40


I have to be honest: I have purchased this mascara before and didn't like it then either. For this series I decided to do a review to formally test my previous negative attitudes towards this mascara and my prior assumptions weren't incorrect. This mascara just does nothing for me. I officially will not be purchasing this mascara again. 


xoxoDarlingBuds

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...