Thursday 26 April 2012

Mascara of the Week #3: Maybelline Duet

I stated in a previous post that I may have actually found a way for me to make Maybelline Falsies better! Or at least more wearable. When I decided I don't like a mascara from the drugstore, it's not a total loss because it's not like I spent an arm and a leg on it; but that's still $$ down the drain. I wanted to see if I could make the Falsies mascara work for me. I didn't like how this mascara literally did NOTHING that it claimed: in no way did it look like I was wearing false lashes, or have 70% thicker lashes. Anyways...I came across a tip a couple of weeks ago on some random beauty blog (can't remember which) that said this: if you want to make the curl of your lashes last while wearing mascara, use a thin coat of a waterproof mascara underneath your regular mascara. 



Waterproof mascaras are oil-based, which makes them last longer, but also impervious to "the elements" so to speak: in other words, waterproof mascara are more durable, or what not.
So whatever...I gave it a try. And I was pleasantly surprised with the results.
The waterproof mascara I used for the thin base coat on my lashes was Maybelline's Lash Discovery. This mascara is kind of on it's last leg, hence the scraggly tube, but it's a really great separating and defining mascara. 

The wand is teeny-tiny. It makes it so easy to control exactly which lashes are coated with mascara...not like the Falsies' bulky wand. I use Lash Discovery as a mascara for my bottom lashes. It's the perfect formula and wand for coating those lil' baby lashes.

Compared side by side, you can really see how great the differences is between the two wands. On days when I'm going for a more "natural" look, I like to reach for Maybelline Lash Discovery because it separates my lashes, while still defining them...
no mascara!

one coat: Maybelline Lash Discovery
One coat of Maybelline Lash Discovery doesn't overly coat my lashes, but it provides separation, definition, and holds the curl because of the waterproof formula. Win! But it's not enough volume or length for what I'm looking for. [Insert Maybelline Falsies here]
Lash Discovery + Maybelline Falsies
BAM! Improvement, if I do say so myself. One thin coat of waterproof mascara underneath a regular mascara definitely helps to upkeep the curl, but in this case, I think that it also helped to actually enhance the formula of the Falsies mascara. Compared to Falsies on its own...
only Falsies


Falsies + Lash Discovery























I see a pretty substantial difference. 
Now, just because I've found a more effective way of using Falsies does not mean that I will ever buy that product again. If it can't do what it claims to do on its own, then it's not worth it. I feel good knowing that I can get more use out of it using it alongside with Lash Discovery, so it wasn't a complete waste of money, but I will definitely not repurchase Falsies. Lash Discovery, however, will remain a staple in my makeup bag. I can use it for my upper and lower lashes for perfect separation and definition.


xoxoDarlingBuds

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...